One of the most famous archaeological monuments, the cave of Theopetra, is located near the village of the same name in the Municipality of Meteora, about 8 kilometers from Kalambaka. It was created 137/65 million years ago and is located at an altitude of 100 meters, approximately from the earth's surface. It is impressive that it contains finds that start in the Middle Paleolithic era (50,000 BC) and continue until the end of the Neolithic period (4,000 BC). Even though the excavations began several years ago, the discoveries do not stop continuing. From the cave, the view is indescribable as in front of it flows the river Litheos, a tributary of Pinios.
The Traditional Settlement of Anthousa
The old settlement of Anthousa or Vlaholepenitsa/Lepenitsa is not straightforward since its inhabitants, from the beginning, tried to solve their problems by creating inventions. At the entrance to Anthousa, there is a small bridge and then a paved square with many cafes. In the center of the court, the stone fountain is impressive. Next to it is the church of All Saints. In the past, the village was famous for its goldsmiths and silversmiths.
Konaki to Bei is a historic stone house-farmhouse located in the village of Meteora Municipality, Peristera, and it seems to have been built between 1881-1895, without evidence. Vasilios Mekios now own this farmhouse. Despite being recognized as a work of art, the building is in danger of collapsing today.
Tuesday 8:30 am–8:30 pm
Wednesday 8:30 am–8:30 pm
The bridge of Deli
The single-arched bridge of Deli is located near the village of Xirokambo in the Municipality of Meteora. It is placed over the Kakopleuritiko stream, which ends in the river Mikani/Mourgani and finally flows into the river Pinios. According to tradition, it was built in 1860, but there are two opinions about its sponsor. One is that his sponsor was the Turk Pasha Delis, and the other is that Delis was a charioteer from Asia.
The bridge in Vakaretsia
The single-arched bridge in Vakaretsia is located near the village of Meteora Municipality, Xirokambos. It is placed over the Buntza stream, which joins the Kakopleuritiko stream, ends in the Iona river, and finally in the Pinios river. According to local tradition, a monk of the Stagiadon monastery, Anthimos, built it in 1860 to better serve the monastery and the village.
Bridge of Balta
The bridge of Balta is located near the village of the Municipality of Meteora, Kakopleuri, and was built in 1405. That is, it has been around for six centuries. The bridge is placed over the Kakopleuritis stream, which flows into the Mikani/Mourgani river and ends in the Pinios river. You can quickly get to the bridge since there is a 15-minute road that takes you without difficulties. Finally, its name comes from the position in which it is located, and a small waterfall has been created near it, as well as a small lake.
In the village of the Municipality of Meteora, Sarakina, there is an arched bridge of the 16th century built by Metropolitan Larissa Bissarian II. Agios Bessarion, in addition to his religious obligations, did essential works, mainly the construction of bridges, and for this reason, he was called Bessarion the bridge builder. Initially, the bridge had six arches. In 1810, however, a part of the bridge collapsed, and thus, today, four semicircular arches are preserved, and in place of those that were destroyed, new ones were built in 1970 from concrete. At the beginning of the 20th century, a turret was built in the giant arch, which measured the water level of Pinios. As tradition points out, the charioteers partially destroyed the bridge to prevent the advance of Ali Pasha of Ioannina towards the Thessalian plain.
The Gika Bridge is located approximately one kilometer east of the village of Krania. It is a single-arched bridge with a semicircular arch and the left pedestal founded on solid rock. It seems to have been created in the 18th century, since the existence of the four perpendiculars, towards the axis, metal pullers in the bow. It got its name from a miller, Ghika, who had his water mill nearby.
Bridge of Psyrras
The double-arched bridge of Psyrras is located near the village of Meteora Municipality, Psiloma, and was built in 1790. Previously, it connected Epirus and Thessaly with Macedonia.
The Old Settlement of Kastraki
The largest village of Meteora Municipality, Kastraki, has a rich history. Its old settlement was located near the site of the current central square of the town, and its houses were of particular architectural interest. Also, many ancient churches that were built mainly during the Turkish occupation have been saved, such as the Holy Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos located at the "Adrachti" location, the Holy Church of Agios Nikolaos located southeast of the village, the Holy Church of Agios Athanasios situated near the square and the Holy Monastery of Agios Georgios Mandialas which is located opposite Panagia Doupiani, east of the village.
The Old Town of Kalambaka
In the past, the city of Kalambaka had a smaller area than today. The pre-war Kalambaka started from the City Hall to the church of Ai-Georgis, in the district of Sopotos. Craftsmen built their houses from Kalambaki next to each other. These are classified into three categories based on the time of their construction and the place where they were made. Urban houses were built during the Turkish occupation. They were built in the traditional Balkan architecture and had closed balconies supported by cantilevers. The agricultural dwellings were constructed with gables and loggias. The first floor was used as a residence and as a breeding ground for cocoons in the spring. In contrast, the ground floor was used as a stable warehouse or as a place to place barrels—finally, the newer stone cube-shaped houses, with chipped cornerstones harmoniously connected with the cobblestones.
All the shops, such as taverns, wine shops, grocery stores, coffee shops, banks, and others, belonged to the district of Platanos. The central square was on the site of today's Agios Bessarion, and all the city's events took place there. In 1928, the Fallen Hero was moved to where it still stands today to remind everyone of the need to defend Greece.
In the quarter of Ai-Yiannis of Prodromos belonged the cafes, which started their operation from 4 a.m. Performances by Karagiozis were held there. In the narrow streets of this district, admirable songs were sung by the Kalambaki people. According to local tradition, the house where Saint Vissarion lived was located in the area of the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin.
The Sopot district was inhabited mainly by farmers, farmers, and craftsmen. The most famous fountain in the city quenched the thirst of the inhabitants and not only watered the gardens and orchards. During the Turkish occupation, in the area of Agios Georgios, there was the mansion of Giannakis Kalambakas, which had food stores and an aqueduct. The lord's guard was stationed in it, a member of which was Ali Pasha of Ioannina.
"Castle" of Agia Paraskevi
The "Castle" of Agia Paraskevi is located near the village of the same name in the Municipality of Meteora, at an altitude of 450 meters. It is probably an outpost where the crossings of the Pinios river were controlled. Its enclosure dates back to the 4th century BC.
Ancient Bytouma Castle
The Ancient Castle of Bytouma is located near the village of the same name in the Municipality of Meteora, at an altitude of 500 meters. Plants and trees have covered the castle's North side, while only a semi-circular tower and walls are preserved from the South side. The highest point of the court is placed at the end, where the rampart forms a deep neck, strengthening the defensive power.
The mansions of Papastergiou & Simos
The mansions of Papastergiou and Simos are located in the village of Anthousa in the Municipality of Meteora, and their construction dates back to 1877 and 1880. In Papastergiou's mansion, an impression was caused by the "zematistra," a pipe that ended above the main entrance and through which the owners of the house threw hot water on raiders. Today, Papastergiou's mansion is abandoned and in a bad state, while Simos's is in good condition.
The Mihou bridge is located near the Tria Potamia-Chaliki provincial road just before branches to Matsouki, Kalarrites, and Anthousa. The bridge is double-arched, with the third arch being filled in. According to tradition, it was built after constructing the Holy Dormition Monastery of Anthousa in 1799 to serve the village better. According to tradition, it owes its name to an event. A man named Miho died on the bridge.